Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Red Silk Japanese Kimono - “Costumes Then And Now”

I purchased this red silk Japanese Kimono when I was 13 years old at a garage sale at the Old Town Fairfax (Virginia) fire station. I remember the original owners had been stationed in Japan and they sold it to me for a few dollars. I’ve moved around so much in my life but it’s one of those items I just love and could never part with. It has been worn on many occasions. In the first picture I’m 14 years old and wearing it during a photo shoot with my late photography mentor John Mendenhal. (He was a friend of my mother’s and we had an arrangement that I modeled for him and in return he supplied me with a 35mm camera and gave me photography lessons). The other pictures are of a LARP this year in which I played an “Evil Peking Opera Star” (I know it’s a Japanese Kimono…shhh don’t tell! ;-)).

Photo by John Mendenhal 

Photo by Andreas Lorenz

 Photo by Andreas Lorenz

No comments:

Post a Comment